Saturday, January 26, 2008

Choices

I'm revisiting a creativity course I first took a year ago. At that time I was wondering what direction my life might take in retirement.

While I could take Social Security now, I have no desire to do so. I want to continue working at my good job for another two to five years, maybe even longer. I'm not one to sit in a rocking chair and watch my remaining decades pass. What would keep me active, involved, and continuing to love life?

The answer, prompted by the course, was to become a teacher. Today, the teaching is quilting and mentoring Junior Achievement students. I've discovered I love teaching. It energizes me and I learn so very much from my students.

I express my creativity in fabric, beads and fiber. I'm a writer. I'm a photographer. Combining these talents is something I love to do!

The gate is in a garbage alley near my home. It represents choices ... life is a series of gates that we can choose to open or not. Outside the gate is the now of today. Beyond the gate is the now of tomorrow. The choice is mine. I can stay as I am, or I can add new adventures.

I hope you enjoy my gate photo as much as I do!

-- Joanna

No comments: