Thursday, July 10, 2008

Teacher's Reward



There's a reward in teaching that I didn't fully realize until my students started coming back to show me how they'd applied their learnings.

Pictured above is Michelle, one of the students in my fabric bowl class two weeks ago. Michelle expresses her creativity in a number of ways. I've admired her crocheting. She is not a quilter. She's not even much of a sewer. Her machine is an older Pfaff that her mother gave her. For making fabric bowls it is more than sufficient.

This week, Michelle walked into my office holding the bowl you see above. The blue isn't the traditional quilter's cotton fabric most students use. Instead it is a scrub suit top given to her by my boss. It looks great and is a superb way to "repurpose" fabric.

Michelle asked for a critical review of the project. I went ahead and nitpicked it. All in all, she did a fabulous job with this, her second bowl.

I am thrilled with her. I love it when my students take what I've taught them and then go out and experiment and grow on their own. It's a wonderful reward for me. Thanks to Michelle for giving me permission to include this photo on my blog.

-- Joanna
Posted by Picasa

No comments: