Friday, January 01, 2010

Veggie Quilt #1

 
Happy New Year!

I hope your first day of the New Year 2010 has been as satisfying as mine. I managed to stay awake long enough to see the ball drop from Times Square and sip a glass of champagne. Then a solid seven hours sleep before waking. I watched the Rose Bowl parade and then went to prepare my potluck dish for an afternoon gathering with friends.

Lots of time to go into the studio and practice green thread free-motion quilting in my little quilt series.

That's when I had the "aha" moment. A little quilt would make a perfect hostess gift. I shuffled the pile and found the quilt pictured. All done except for quilting in the orange area. I added a quick fused binding. It's a bit larger than I would like so I will experiment with other bindings in the rest of this series.

The finishing touch was to put on a label. Some time ago I used one of my graphics programs to print a sheet of labels. I have had the sheet pinned to my design wall where I can quickly add this finishing touch that is so often forgotten. This was the last one on the sheet so I'll design a new one for 2010.

After photographing the front I also snapped shots of the back. I can view my work in my graphics program (I use the free program Picasa from Google most of the time as it is quick and does a good job on simple editing.) Using the zoom feature I can examine my stitches far more easily than just looking at the actual quilt. It's a good measure of the quality of my work, especially since I'm progressing through these little quilts one thread color at a time.

This little quilt now belongs to my good friend Kellie.

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: