Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Christmas Quilt - A Different Path

 

I'm not much for doing block of the month (BOM) projects. I've tried a few but something always seems to interfere with makin all the blocks. One of these days I need to take those blocks and turn them into placemats as a charity project. But that's for another day.

When the Christmas Quilt BOM was announced by The Quilter's Market, where I teach, I decided I would do this and give it as a gift to my son and family. It is, by far, the most expensive quilt commitment I have made in my years of quilting. There's a monthly fee and, as I discovered at the first meeting on Saturday, embellishment kits and tools to make the project process smoother. I have no problems with either as I love embellishments and tools. I'm not only making an investment in the quilt; I'm making an investment in the fun I will have making it and the delight of giving it to my loved ones.

I have created two Picasa Web albums. The first -- Christmas Quilt Samples - Instructor shows block samples and close-ups. There will be two blocks a month for eight months (skipping July). The second album, Christmas Quilt Joanna Variations, has my samples.

After attending the first BOM meeting I decided I wanted to try something different than the techniques presented by the instructor. I usually tell my students to try the instructor's techniques first then adapt. In this instance I feel I have enough experience to head out on my own.

As detailed in previous messages, I recently finished a baby quilt that had about 100 appliques. I used the technique taught by Sharon Schamber. There were times I really struggled with the process but I mostly conquered it. Then I got Beth Ferrer's More Hand Applique by Hand book. While the techniques are similar, there are some significant differences.

I decided I would like to try my own variation of the wash-away applique fabric method.I didn't want to start out with the fabric pack provided in our first class, so I assembled fabrics from my stash. ood thing I experimented! My first attempt was a disaster! I didn't realize that I needed to scan the hand applique block pattern and then flip it horizontally to get the proper orientation after I fused the wash-away to my fabrics. I discovered the problem when I went to glue the red M to my fabric background.

Great learnings come from mistakes so I started over. The result is shown here and in the album. So far, I'm pleased.

My next challenge is reactivating my embroidery skills. I haven't done any serious embroidery for at least five years. If the muscle memory comes back I'll start work on the block using my fabric kit.

What fun!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: