Tuesday, December 12, 2006

My Ironing Board Solution

Several of the email groups I enjoy are having the at-least-once-a-year discussion on ironing boards and ironing surfaces. My solution came about after taking the QuiltUniversity.com Studio Makeover course with Myrna Giesbrecht. I made a storage island with four Closet Maid cabinets (bought on sale at Target). Then I went to a local woodworking company and had them cut a sheet of 3/4" thick MDF (medium density fiberboard, highly recommended in the Trading Spaces books). I wanted an overhang of about 2"-4".

The top of the surface is covered with cotton batting and canvas. I purchased both at Jo-Ann's with one of the great coupons they offer on a bi-weekly basis. The cover is stapled to the MDF.

When I first put the top on the cabinets it slid around a bit because of the smooth cabinet tops. I fixed that with several pieces of gridded shelf liner. No more slippage!

I have forgotten the exact cost of my island but by purchasing items on sale it was close to the cost of the popular commercial "big ironing boards". I use this as my cutting surface as well as for ironing. The height is perfect for me. I can press and cut without fatigue.

This lovely large surface is an attraction for all things quilting - scraps, fibers, cutting tools, marking tools, and, on a frequent basis, Miz Paws and Sargeant Top Gun. Yep, puppy paws as well as kitty paws! The only time it is as pristine as this photo is when I took the photo several years ago!

To see more photos of my studio makeover, please click here.

2 comments:

Sweet P said...

I never get tired of seeing your studio. You did a great job on it.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a fantastic idea for storage, ironing and cutting!
Kathy