Saturday, June 21, 2008

Do Not Disturb!


It's Saturday and I'm having a lazy day. With the temperature outside at 103 degrees at noon the energy level is pretty low. Here in Tucson we claim it's a dry heat but when the temperature gets over 105 the inclination is to simply relax. There's something magical about 105 degrees. Below that, we cope. Above that we are sluggards.

Our daily blessing is the morning. As hot as it was yesterday and as hot as it will be today, the early morning is cool, often 30-40 degrees cooler than midday temperatures. That's when we are active. Thus it was that I woke my usual time (5:00 am), relaxed a bit, then put on Sargeant's harness and headed to Udall Park for a walk. We usually go there for concerts and the dog park. This morning the objective was a bit of dog park for Sargeant and a mile plus walk for both of us. I've decided to rededicate myself to losing more weight (a visit to the doctor and getting some elevated lab results is an incentive!) so weekend mornings are being dedicated to walks.

We did a tour of the walking path then headed to the dog park. Sargeant ran around for a few minutes then we headed out to explore the park. I've decided I really don't enjoy walking along a formal walking path. I'd much prefer to wander. So this likely won't be a regular destination, especially with gas prices as high as they are today. This morning it was $35 to fill my little Hyundai's tank!

Once home I watered the garden and caught up with email and the Saturday morning quilting programs. Inspiration to get my muse going! First, however, I have to unpack my machine. Yesterday I taught a photo postcard class and, naturally, forgot to take photos of how I was geared up with my Tutto machine case, Laurel Burch bag with all the supplies and, for this class only, laptop computer and printer.

Clicked on the studio light and there was Sargeant, sound asleep, at least until the light came on, in one of his favorite sleeping spots. He looked up as I quietly retreated and I hoped he wouldn't move until I grabbed the camera. For those not familiar with Miniature Pinscher dogs, they are often called "alarm" or "security" dogs. Small they may be (but not Sargeant, he's a trim 18 pounds for his over-sized 14" height) but loud, alert and territorial. Let someone try to come to the back gate or front door and he'll make you think he's a 200 pound terrior!

After our morning walk all Sargeant wants to do is nap. The studio is dark and cool and the best sleeping spot is on top of my cutting/ironing center. That's the surface I forgot to cover yesterday when I dashed out for class. Before I can wake my muse I need to remove the dog and cat hair!

That's a small inconvenience for the companionship provided by Sargeant TopGun and Miz Paws.

When I finish this blog entry I can go to the studio and not feel guilty shooing him away. He's sound asleep on the bed now, head resting on my pillow. It's definitely a good day to be a dog!

-- Joanna
Posted by Picasa

No comments: