Saturday, May 19, 2007

Beading to the Edge of the Mat

When I completed my first beading on fabric art, I simply cut my Timtex-backed fabric about a half inch larger than the anticipated 5" x 7" size. Of course, when I started this first project I had no idea what it would look like or what I would do with it!

After it was completed, Larkin Van Horn, the artist whose book Beading on Fabric inspired me to start the project, commented that the beading ending abruptly looked like a mistake. I took the project, by then named Beginnings, marked the edge of the mat, and spent a couple hours carefully adding more beading so that it would reach the edge. By then I had decided that I would mat it and put it into a picture frame.

I had more of the focus bead and batik background fabric so created Beginnings #2. The photo on the right shows how I mark the mat frame and then remove all trace of the markings.

I use a Clover White Marking Pen (Fine). I was introduced to this several years ago when I began working with applique. This is an unusual pen in that it does not make an immediate mark. It takes about a minute for the white line to appear. Unlike chalk or other pens, the line remains until removed with water or heat.

I didn't want to use my steam iron on the beads so used my Clover mini-iron. I snug the edge or point against the beads. In an instant the marking is gone!

You can see both Beginnings and Begainning #2 here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/shimmers411/BeadingAdventures

Please see Larkin Van Horn's gorgeous artwork here:

http://www.larkinart.com/

As always, comments most welcome!

-- Joanna Strohn
Posted by Picasa

No comments: