Sunday, May 27, 2007

Concerts and Beading in the Park

Posted by Picasa

Each Spring and Fall I enjoy going to the concerts in the park. In high school I played French Horn and have been involved with musical activities from time to time throughout my career.

My concert companion is Sargeant TopGun, my Miniature Pinscher (trivia: NOT a miniature Doberman ... Dr. Doberman developed that breed after deciding he wanted a big dog with MinPin personality). This photo, my favorite, shows him sunning on my patio table with that "I am the king of the house" look. No, he's not spoiled! I'm sure everyone makes homemade treats every week!

Before each concert I take Sargeant to the dog park so he can run around. At the concert he has to be well-behaved so it's great he can expend some energy. We get seated early and have our dinner. I bring him treats (and water) and if I eat anything with meat in it he's sure to get his share. Then there's time to spare. Thanks to an article by Chris Lynn Kirsch "Well-Behaved Beads" inn the Spring 2007 issue of American Quilter, I now take my beading with me ... and the beads don't spill!

Chris' tip is to put beads on the sticky side of packaging tape. The beads are held securely but can be easily removed with the needle tip. I don't get much beading done, but even an inch is an inch completed! Plus it's fun and between the beading and Sargeant it's easy for folks to start conversations with me.

At last night's Memorial Day concert, I especially appreciated conductor Laszlo Veres comment that "America the Beautifiul", a traditional end to the concert, is not "walking music". It is a prayer. He said he'd play a march first so people could pack up and leave early. Some did. None did during the beautiful tribute to our country. I wrote and said I hoped he'd continue this reminder every concert!

Now to get my concert kit prepared for tonight's concert...have a wonderful Memorial Day!

2 comments:

Sweet P said...

A fellow french horn player - me too! My mom made me start the french horn because she didn't want to pay for a flute. I got back at her by making her buy me a double french horn two years later.

Your concerts sound like a great way to spend a summer evening. Enjoy them!

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Oh what fun!
Spoiled? Any dog, spoiled? Surely not! LOL!