Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Perfect Quarter-Inch Seam


The perfect quarter-inch seam isn't always an exact quarter inch.

Depending on what is being made, the seam can be scant, exact or generous. The type of thread used also can influence the size. Aurifil 50 weight, my favorite piecing thread, is very thin whereas King Tut, my current favorite for free-motion quilting, is thicker as a 40 weight three-ply thread. The same quarter inch seam will vary slightly. It's a tad bit larger with the lighter weight thread when pressed either open or to one side.

To get the exact quarter inch seam I want on the Juki TL-98Q I use the trick of using sticky notes to form a lip against which I can guide my fabric edge. As I usually tell my students, sewing can be as much of a tactile experience as a visual experience. As I guide my fabric my finger tells me it is riding exactly on the sticky note edge.

To secure the sticky notes so they don't move, I use blue painters tape. This is far better than reqular masking tape as it does not leave any residue on paper or fabric, even if it is left on for a long time. Those long-time leaves are never supposed to happen but life does happen!

Give this a try and see how easy it is to get your perfect quarter-inch seam.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: