Sunday, December 27, 2009

Taming the Wild Juki

A selling feature of the Juki TL-98Q is that it can stitch 1500 stitches per minute. That's 25 stitches per second! Far too many for me to contemplate ever using.

I'm accustomed to my Baby Lock Quilter's Choice where I can regulate speed with a sliding switch or my Viking 1+ where I can set speed to fast, medium or slow. The thought of the Juki suddenly taking off at 25 stitches a second is scary!

One solution (other than hours of practice) is a speed control. They're available for about $50. Impatient as I am I didn't want to wait for an order to arrive so I decided to build my own. Plans for building a speed control are available on the Juki or Brother Yahoo groups. Parts are easily available at any RadioShack store. Cost for everything, including an inexpensive soldering iron, is about $25.

Many years ago I built my own Ham radio station. I've also done silversmithing so I'm familiar with using power tools, cable strippers and soldering irons. The speed control is simply a potentiometer connected between the machine and the foot pedal.

Putting the control together was a good evening's work and a terrific distraction -- I was waiting for calls from my son to tell me how my daughter-in-law was progressing in her labor.

My Juki can still stitch wildly but not as frighteningly. Learning to sew at a slow, controlled speed isn't easy but I feel I'm learning faster with my speed control than without it.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: