Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Taming the Tension Monster


Rule #1 -- Read the manual.
Rule #2 -- Look at the illustrations.
Rule #3 -- Read the manual and look at the illustrations! Together!

This photo shows what happens when those rules are ignored. I was practicing away shortly after getting my Juki TL-98Q when the sound of the machine suddenly changed. When I removed the practice piece I saw all these loopies on the bottom.

I know loops on the bottom usually mean there is a problem with the top tension. I rethreaded the machine and tried again. Started fine then more loopies. I fiddled. Still loopies. Finally I took out the instruction manual and looked at it again ... for maybe the 10th time. This time I looked at the illustrations. Oops ... I'd been threading the machine incorrectly. Not a problem with straight stitching but definitely a mess with free-motion!

I began again with the basics:

- Changing the needle and making sure the new one wasn't bent before inserting it. I used the trick of putting a pin through the eye of the needle to make sure the top of the needle was thoroughly inserted.
- Reading the free motion instructions in the manual and setting the machine as described. The manual recommends 0 stitch length and 0 foot pressure.
- Removing the stitch plate and vacuuming and cleaning everything thoroughly
- Oiling. Lots of oil.
- Changing the bobbin to a newly wound one.
- Changing the bobbin tension until the case dropped slowly when dangled by the thread, per instructions from the manual.
- Testing and then making changes to the top tension.

Additionally, I had been using a Bobbin Genie washer. To me, the logical way to insert it was against the machine, not in the bobbin case. I noticed the top was bent so replaced it. When it bent again I went on an Internet search and discoverd a video by Sharon Schamber showing that the Bobbin Genie washer goes inside the bobbin case! Oops ... another newbie goof.

My stitch since I began setting my machine correctly has been spot on. I'm no longer hesitant to change the settings, especially bobbin tension. Even so, I'm keeping the manual close by for a refresher whenever I change thread.

On my little quilt project I've finished with the purple and am changing to green. I can tell the improvement in my technique already!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: