Sunday, June 17, 2007

Bead Journal Project - June 2007

I had barely begun on my adventures in beading when I learned about Robin Atkin's Bead Journal Project. I signed up (along with almost 250 other people!) and made a commitment to do one beaded journal project a month. I decided that I would work small. My concept was to do a miniature (about 3") totally beaded piece that I could put in a small frame.

Good concepts can turn into disaster and that is what happened! I beaded on a batik fabric fusted to Timtex. When I tried to cut the Timtex to frame size I cut into fabric edge as well. Plus, it was too small to fit into the frame! So I let it sit while I went on with other learning experiences, including necklaces and pins. (See my Picasa album: http://picasaweb.google.com/shimmers411/BeadingAdventures).

Yesterday morning I awakened and the vision of the project was so real I had to start on it immediately. The result is an 8" x 10" page done on batik fabric backed by stiff felt. "Begin" is in bead embroidery. The medallion is turned into a pin. I solved the problem of the cut fabric by adding Ultrasuede to the back and then doing picot edging around the medallion. I created a way to attach the pin to the fabric using beads. Then I did a beaded cord so that I can turn it into a necklace.

"Begin" represents both my beginning in beading and my beginning into a new era of eyesight. As I worked yesterday I was able to examine my feelings - and mourn in som ways - about my upcoming eye surgery. My right eye will no longer be an 8x magnifying lens when I hold items 4" from my face!

-- Joanna
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Timaree said...

Very nice. I can't believe you could do so much with eyes focusing at different distances. Did you get a headache? And boy, you used that old saying "neccesity is the mother of invention" very well too. Will check back to see how you do for July what with your surgery and all.

Ellen said...

I really like what you have done so far Joanna & love that you can wear it as well.. Good luck with your surgery..

Cheryl said...

Very nice. This is a great idea...being able to remove your piece from the page and wear it! Very clever.

Cheryl